The Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute is a specialized entity that has evolved as a national leader in medical rehabilitation care. Delivering a patient-centered approach to both its patients and their families, the Institute has adopted the most up to date, international methods of administering interdisciplinary/acute and post acute rehabilitation.
The Institute’s core team consists of Physiatrists (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physicians), Occupational Therapists, Nurses, Speech & Language Pathologists, Physical Therapists, Social Workers and Prosthetists and Orthotists. The team also works closely with Neurosurgeons, Internists, Rheumatologists, Neurologists, Pediatricians and Orthopedic Surgeons.
Accommodating a 21 bed acute rehabilitation unit and satellite therapy areas in SKMC's Surgical & Medical Pavilions, the Institute provides world class acute/post acute rehabilitation care to individuals with stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, multi-trauma and various other neurological and musculoskeletal impairments, both as inpatients and outpatients.
As the first of its kind in the UAE, the Institute is committed to establishing a post-graduate medical and allied health care professionals training programs. Members of the institute are also participating as principle investigators in numerous clinical research projects.
Summary of Services Provided:
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Assessment and Interventions)
- Electrophysiology (EMG)
- Pain Management
- Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy
- Neurological Physiotherapy
- Occupational Therapy (Including seating assessment)
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Speech and Language Pathology (Dealing with a variety of communication & swallowing disorders)
- Pediatric / adolescent comprehensive rehabilitation clinic .spasticity management.